Drive Recommendations to Improve Your Drive
The average driver spends about 300 days on the road each year, which means your truck becomes your de facto home. And like any home, you probably want yours to be a comfortable, safe, and entertaining place to pass the hours on the road.
Today, we’ve got some tips for you from our drivers on products that can make your truck feel just a little bit more comfortable without costing a lot. Direct from truck drivers across the nation, these recommendations are sure to improve time spent on the road
Entertainment: Free to Cheap
While driving hour after hour, you may need some ways to safely pass the time. There are many free podcasts you can listen to (or through a small monthly subscription if you don’t want the ads). Audio books can also be checked out from your local library to help pass the time.
If a podcast if your style, here are 5 popular shows made specifically for and recommended by truck drivers:
- The Blue Ribbon Podcast (formerly An American Truck Driver)
- The Trucking Podcast
- The Truck Show Podcast
- Trucker Dump
If you’re looking for an audio book to pique your interest, these driver tested and approved options can match your mood:
- If you want a bit of horror, try anything by Stephen King.
- If you’d like a good psychological thriller, Little Fires Everywhere might work.
- Want a fantasy? (Or to see how the show differs from the book?) Listen to the entire Game of Thrones series. Bonus: This might get you through five whole years of driving.
- Interested in another trucker’s stories? Check out The Long Haul: A Trucker’s Tales of Life on the Road by Finn Murphy.
- A good suspense novel is Echoes in Death by J.D. Robb.
- For mystery, anything by James Patterson is a good place to start.
- If romance is your thing, Nicholas Sparks has a lot of timeless stories to keep you interested.
- If you are in the mood to laugh, check out a David Sedaris book.
We often hear opinions on the best dash mount. So we have a list of recommendations from drivers for you here. These are the ones mentioned for any driver looking for a hands-free phone mount:
- IOttie Easy One Touch-2
- Garmin dezlCam-GPS nav phone mount
- Newward 2-in-1 (long-neck)
- WizGear Universal Air Vent (best for budgets)
- Bracketron Gear Rack (fits multiple devices)
Just remember to always use these mounts responsibly.
Seat and Cushion Covers
A nice driver’s seat might be the most important thing you invest in. Having a comfortable seat cushion and/or cover can make or break a trip. Whether you are looking for extra cushion, back support, or massaging features, one of these comfy options might be perfect for you:
- Aylio Coccyx Orthopedic Comfort Foam Seat Cushion
- Everlasting Comfort Seat Cushion (or the Next Gen Everlasting Comfort with Gel)
- Coccyx Seat Cushion by CushionCare
- Airhawk Truck Driver Seat Cushion
Massagers with Heated Seats:
- Relaxen 10-Motor Massage Seat Cushion with Heat
- Sharper Image Car Cushion with Massage and Heat
- Air Compression Shiatsu Neck and Back Massager with Heat
Life on the road can be hard but having the right tools makes it a lot more pleasant. Of course, at Variant, we work to make sure our trucks are as safe as they are comfortable. Just check out our fully equipped Freightliner Cascadias to see what we mean. And to start driving with us, fill out our application form so we can get in touch.